Followers

Thursday 20 September 2012

Tea party



I had to make a couple of cards for last weekend as another friend attending the party was also turning 40.



We have a small group who get together for tea and homemade treats so I thought these would make a nice theme for the card.

I had the chipboard teapot and two cups in my stash and I covered them in paper from DCWV Spring Fling mat stack.  I ran the paper through my Xyron Creative Station and then stuck it on the shapes and used a craft knife to cut round them.  I then used some Taffy Smooch to colour the edges.  I used Zots to adhere the shapes to the card to raise them off the page.

The background paper is from the DCWV Gilded Orchid mat stack.  Since discovering mat stacks I am hooked, they are so much more convenient for card making than 12x12 stacks and take lots less room so I can buy more of them!  They are the perfect size for 5x7 cards like this one, no cutting and no waste.

The tag is from the Spellbinders’ Grommet Tags set, I don’t think I got my sandwich right though as the embossing part didn’t work so well.  I inked the edges with Tsukineko Brilliance Cosmic Copper to add some interest and fastened the tag with some Making Memories pearl brads.  The sentiment is a Stampin’ Up stamp from their Happiest Birthday Wishes set.  I was a bit careless when I was inking the stamp and I got the rounded line of the edge of the stamp so I took a fine black pen and turned it into a flower.

Finally, I exercised my new colouring skills some more on the SBS Birthday Tilly digi I used.  My friend is rather stylish and does wear pearls so I used CTMH Bitty Pearls for her earring and for the dots on her headband.  My friend is a true blonde so I used the same colours for her hair as I used on Emerald on my other card but with a yellow rather than orange base.  Colour combinations are just one thing you learn about on the course. I used an Action Wobble to attach Tilly to the card to add more depth and somehow managed to place her perfectly to be just balancing on the flower on the tag.

I’d have never done cheeks before doing the Created from Color course or the highlights in her hair but I think she looks so much better with both.  I would recommend the course to anyone who likes colouring with Copics, the instructors are super lovely and give really great feedback.  I’ve edited all the pictures of my “homework” with their comments so I can reference them later so I don’t make the same mistakes again.

I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the card but I used the same Spring Fling paper inside and then a smaller piece of plain pink paper to write the sentiment and placed the second teacup in the bottom corner.

I’m really proud of how this card turned out, I learned a lot on the colouring course and I’ve also absorbed a lot about how to put together cards from blogs and message boards.  Other crafters are such enablers!  My friend really loved the card too so that made all the work worthwhile.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Great card Elizabeth, I love all the details right down to the pearl earrings. Your coloring of the hair is fabulous and the shading and blending really makes it stand out. Great idea with the wobbley I have some but forget to use them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: